This will be the worst four years of your life and it’s going to get worse before it gets better. Unfortunately, that’s just life. But you’re going to learn a lot from all those stupid mistakes you make so at least all is not lost.
Long story short, you’re going to fall in love and then your heart is going to completely rip into shreds and then you’re going to turn into a psycho and then everyone is going to hate you.
Sounds great, right?
Here are a few things I wish you knew.
1. Life isn’t about how many friends you have. You’re going to hang out with so many people and you’re going to revolve your life around them. Well here’s a little heads up. You’re going to stay friends with one of those people and only a handful of those people will still like you enough to at least like your Instagram posts. Stop trying to be cool. Stop trying to please everyone. It’s so dumb and impossible anyways. Your worth isn’t in how many friends you have. Your worth is in Christ. (Proverbs 18:24, Proverbs 12:26)
2. STOP TALKING TO BOYS. Seriously. You will talk to boys just to feel loved and cope with the fact that you’re super empty inside. Remember all those lessons from Bible Study and actually live them out! God is so much more fulfilling than some boy who doesn’t actually care about you. (Colossians 3:2)
3. Stop trying to win back your ex. He never actually loved you so just get over it! Don’t go parties and start smoking weed because you will think he’ll want you. Don’t stop eating because you think being skinner will make him want you. Don’t post a million stupid pictures on Instagram just so he will see. He literally won’t care. Get back into church and spend some time with the Lord when you’re sad! I promise it would have made things a whole lot easier. God cares about you and loves you so much more than any boy ever could. (Romans 8:38-39)
4. Your looks are so unimportant. You are going to think you’re the prettiest girl in the room. You’ve got to stop that. Pride and vanity are going to eat you alive. Stop finding your worth in the way you look and dress. Your education and your heart are way more important than the way you look. (1 Samuel 16:7, Proverbs 31:30)
5. Don’t give up. You will want to give up so badly. You will lose all your friends and you’ll be failing math but God is so much bigger. Run to Him! Let Him be your fulfillment. Let Him give you peace during the day. Let Him be your God. Not those boys, not your looks…nothing else. Rest in Him. (Psalm 23:1)
If you’re reading this and you have been finding your worth in the amount of friends you have, your looks, your relationship status or in the stuff you have, I really want to encourage you to find your joy in God. All of your stuff can disappear in a matter of seconds. Those things won’t matter when you’re standing in front of God himself one day. Stop chasing the world. Chase after Jesus. Let Him refine your heart. I promise you’re not too far gone. My mistakes and the bad reputation I might have with some people are only a testimony to what God has done in my life. I’ve done nothing to deserve His grace. I will continue to make mistakes but I now know where my worth lies.
1 John 2:15-17 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.
James 4:4 You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.